Join the MAXIS Innovation Hackathon!
A one-day event bringing data analysts, web developers, insurance experts, geeks and entrepreneurs together with the MAXIS team, to explore new tools and solutions for the changing global employee benefits market.
7 November 2018, etc venues Monument, London EC3M 1A
9:30am to 6:00pm, with drinks afterwards
- Exchange ideas, learn and enhance tech and business skills, get inspired
- Meet like-minded peers, network and have fun
- A chance to work with MAXIS Global Benefits Network (MetLife and AXA in partnership) as a supplier in future projects
- Win a £250 Amazon voucher for the best online submission
- Win a £250 Amazon voucher (per person) for the winning team at the live event
What if you can’t join us in London on 7 November? The good news is you can still take part in our Hackathon and have the chance to win a £250 Amazon voucher. Simply fill out the registration form below and tick “Online submission”.
MAXIS Innovation Hackathon – registration form
Fill out this form if you want to participate. We will select participants based on the information provided here, so please allow yourself time to fill it out properly.
The 3 challenges
On 7 November, teams will work on solutions for the following challenges. At the end of the day, all teams will do a 5 minute ‘pitch’ using their chosen presentation method (PowerPoint, screenshots, wireframing tools, Photoshop, links etc) and, after some deliberation, our judging panel will announce the winners.
Challenge 1 – Re-imagining insurance
Many multinationals offer group life, medical, disability and accident insurance to their employees to both reward and retain them. What digital services and tools could make these types of benefits more flexible and visible to staff, ensuring they remain valued and attractive for millennials and younger generations of workers?
Insurance tends to be valued only when things go wrong… What digital tools, data or apps could insurance providers offer to increase the attractiveness and value of insurance, motivating employees around the world to select these benefits when they’re given a choice by their employer?
- Concepts and digital solutions that can make ‘insurable benefits’ more visible and relevant in the workplace and/or in employees’ day-to-day life, helping staff to identify, manage and reduce risks while providing an enjoyable user experience.
- Tools and concepts using innovative technologies (artificial intelligence, blockchain, machine learning etc) and real-time data that adapt to ongoing staff needs.
Challenge 2 – New data dashboards
How can data from insurance claims help multinational employers understand usage, key issues and risks, and improve their decisions at global headquarters’ level?
Big data, wearable tech, artificial intelligence and blockchain are changing the insurance sector. These technologies can be leveraged to create better monitoring, evaluation and decision-making tools for multinational employers.
- Smart graphs, data visualisations and/or dashboards that can help multinationals understand the meaning behind their employees’ data in aggregate, providing insights and recommendations for their global benefits programmes and more.
- Digital tools and/or platforms that can help MAXIS add additional features to our current services, or offer new products and services.
- Check information about the global reports and the medical reports we provide to our clients here.
- A sample data sheet from a MAXIS global client will be provided at the event.
Challenge 3 – Wellness programmes
What digital solutions could help our multinational clients to rollout, coordinate, promote and monitor health and wellness programmes with their local subsidiaries?
Employee health and wellbeing is a key focus for organisations around the world. Our services help employers identify cost drivers and enable better targeting of wellness programmes, but implementing these programmes at global level is still a challenge.
- Concepts and tools that can help multinational employers implement and monitor health and wellness programmes with subsidiaries and their employees worldwide, preferably in real time.
- Technologies, tools and concepts either using existing vendors and off-the-shelf platforms, or proposing new customised solutions.
Further links and support materials:
Other important information about the MAXIS Innovation Hackathon
Eligibility, event format and other information
The MAXIS Innovation Hackathon is open to all individual participants aged over 18 years old, including start-ups, entrepreneurs, students and business professionals.
If you’re selected to participate in the live event on 7 November, you must be available and willing to travel to our venue in London at your own expense. We will provide food and drinks on the day.
We reserve the right to select the most adequate participants based on the information provided in the online registration form.
Teams will be formed on the day and will be a mix of MAXIS staff, partners, suppliers and participants who have registered online.
The judging panel will consist of senior stakeholders at MAXIS across IT, Digital Marketing & Innovation, Sales and Technical teams. They will judge the online submissions and the best team at the event based on the following criteria:
1. Understanding of the challenge (score 1-5)
Does the submission clearly address the challenge selected?
2. Understanding of data available (score 1-5)
Does the submission show understanding of the data and support materials provided by us? Has the submission uncovered other useful sets of data and the approach for using them?
3. Route to market (score 1-5)
Does the submission clearly identify the market for the idea? Are there any competitive alternatives? Is there a marketing approach to attract MAXIS clients and/or members? Can it generate regular revenue?
4. Originality of idea (score 1-5)
Is the idea unique and creative? Or does it build on existing tools and platforms?
5. Feasibility (score 1-5)
How practical is it to take this innovation to the next level? Can it be produced with MAXIS’ current skills and technologies in an efficient manner? How much effort will be needed to develop the idea?
6. Presentation (score 1-5)*
Is the final presentation structured, professional and clear? Is the content engaging, relevant, and appropriate? Are questions answered satisfactorily?
* This criteria will not be used on entries marked as “Online submission”.
Key dates to bear in mind
6 August: Online registration opens
From 15 October: Participants will receive confirmation and further information about the event, including full agenda
26 October (extended): Online registration closes
7 November: Event to be held in London, including winner announcement at the end of the day
Terms & conditions
- MAXIS reserves the right at all times to change the date and/or time of the event, the concept of the event or to cancel the event. In such cases, a participant will not be entitled to claim compensation for any costs incurred and/or loss or damage suffered as a result.
- MAXIS reserves the right to refuse or reject a participant and/or submission as it sees fit.
- MAXIS shall enter the data it obtains from a participant in a database for the purposes of organising this event. The participant authorises MAXIS to use and store the data supplied by him/her. Data relating to participants will be retained by MAXIS for a reasonable period after the event. Please see the Privacy Notice on our website for further details.
- Any data relating to participants will not be disclosed to a third party without the individual’s consent.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to the event, the decision of the judging panel shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- Prizes are non–transferable and there is no cash alternative. MAXIS reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
- Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and MAXIS reserves the right to use the names and other details of the winners in any publicity both on paper and online.
- Each participant agrees that MAXIS (and third parties authorised by MAXIS) may make any and all submissions/work products available in their publications and on their websites and any other media. Each participant grants MAXIS (and third parties authorised by MAXIS) a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence (for the full period of any rights in the submission) to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, make derivative works from, edit, alter, store, re-format, sell and sub-licence the submission/work products emanating from the event.
- Each participant warrants that its submission/work products will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening.
This event is part of the MAXIS Data & Digital Innovation Lab
The MAXIS Data & Digital Innovation Lab is a programme that sets us apart as the most innovative, forward-looking global benefits network in digital and data solutions.